Turkiye Secures $2.8 Billion in Foreign Direct Investment in First Four Months

April Sees Record-Breaking Monthly Inflow, with Wholesale and Retail Trade Leading Investment Surge

Turkiye has attracted $2.8 billion in foreign direct investment (FDI) in the first four months of 2024, according to the International Investors Association (YASED) and the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkiye’s Balance of Payments statistics.

April marked a particularly significant milestone, with $1.278 billion in FDI, the highest monthly figure so far this year. This inflow comprised $477 million in equity capital, $452 million from real estate sales to foreign nationals, and $353 million from borrowing instruments, offset by a $4 million liquidation of investments.

Within April’s equity capital influx, the wholesale and retail trade sector emerged as a key beneficiary, attracting $262 million, or 55% of the total. This sector continues to outperform historical trends. The information and communication sector drew 12% of the equity capital investments, while manufacturing of computers, electronics, optical products (5%), and transportation equipment (4%) also saw significant investment.

The United Kingdom led the international investment in April, contributing $134 million, or 28% of the total FDI, followed by the United States with a 21% share. Over the first four months, European Union countries accounted for 49% of total investments, with the Americas contributing 21%.

Despite a 29% year-over-year decrease in FDI for the first four months, the cumulative value of foreign direct investments since 2002 has surpassed $266 billion, underscoring Turkiye’s enduring appeal to international investors.

Source: Trthaber / Prepared by Irem Yildiz

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button